When you came into the world, we were showered with congratulations that all centered around the theme of, “Congratulations on the arrival of your daughter!”
But if I could go back to that day, I would whisper in your ear, “Congratulations on the arrival of your father!” Because on that day, as I watched the man I love hold this extraordinary new life in his arms, I knew that you had just won the dad lottery.
Signs That You Have Won the Dad Lottery
- Given any two choices, where one of them is you…he chooses you.
- When he hears you talking in another room, he looks up and quietly says, “I love her.”
- Everything you do makes him proud….really, really proud.
- He worries about you. Constantly.
- He encourages you to be exactly who you are.
- He’d rather spend his Saturday nights watching movies with you than just about anything else in the world.
- He comforts you when you make mistakes.
- Whatever you’re into, he’s into.
- He apologizes when he makes a mistake.
- He is strong when you are weak and he is a comfort when you are in pain.
- He reads to you and does great character voices.
- When you’re happy, he’s happy.
- His actions show the importance of being kind, being charitable, and helping others.
- He always stops when he sees a lost dog.
- He works hard and without complaint.
- He would do absolutely anything to make sure you are safe.
- He’d rather have ice cream with you than eat at the fanciest restaurant in town without you.
- He makes up the most amazing bedtime stories.
- He loves and respects your mother.
And the biggest sign that you’ve won the dad lottery?
You can’t imagine ever finding someone as amazing as him.
So, I sit here today and think back on the newborn you, with your whole life ahead of you. And I say….
Congratulations on the arrival of your father. You’ve just won the dad lottery.